Ride all over the Appalachians
The year: 2013 The date: June 16-22. The location: all over the Appalachians. The Adventure RAid is open to all riders on all brands of bikes, and all skill levels. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BIG DOG TO HAVE A BIG TIME. This event is fun, it is an excellent opportunity to learn, and a great way to make new friends.
"What's an Adventure RAid?" It's an adventure event that starts online this spring and continues through the Blue Ridge-to-Biltmore rally in June.
How do you ride an Adventure RAid?
You can choose to ride solely to have fun, or to shoot for a win. To win the Adventure RAid, you must be:
- A good navigator that rides off the beaten path to the rally.
- A good storyteller with photo and/or video skills being part of the picture.
- An adventuresome rider through the wilds of the Appalchians along your way to Asheville.
- A decent rider on the track, someone who doesn't put their feet down.
What's the schedule of events?
More information will be posted here in the coming days.
- There are two main parts to the event: 1) Riding to the event and 2) Riding at the Blue Ridge-to-Biltmore rally.
- Register on the BMW RA registration page. Click the button that says you wish to ride in the Adventure RAid.
- Go on Facebook, join the GS Giants group.
- If you'd like to join the GS Giants club, do it! We have a ton of fun.
- Once you're registered, liked, grouped and joined you'll begin receiving more information as the event nears.
Of course, none of this happens without volunteers, and volunteering is a big part of the fun.
Scorekeepers - good with a spreadsheet, and a good nose for BS.
Data Wranglers - collect riders’ pics, vids and proof points. You'll need a laptop, we have the hard drive.
Event hosts - local expert who can show visitors a great time.
Ride leaders - sweeps, too... riders who can help others with less experience
Route planners - know the good local riding? Got GPS?
GS BS Geeks - know all the bizarre POIs?
Track setup and management - good with hand tools and picking up bikes?
Competition judges - you need a good eye, and a hydration pack.
Seminars - are you interested in giving one at either rally?
Many volunteers come from the ranks of the GS Giants, a virtual club that formed at previous events and is growing like a, well, Giant!
More information coming here, soon.